Thursday 16 February 2017

10/02/17

Another whirlwind week over in the alps! Been a bit busy thus no post but here's a bit to fill you in on;

Skiing!

I'm on a ski season so what everyone wants to know is probably how my skiing is going and well, let's put it this way; I'm still alive.

So skiing hurts. My legs feel like jelly 50% of the time the other 50% like boulders. Heavy, rocky boulders. And I tell you what, if I don't look like Beyonce by the end of season I want my money back. I am covered in bruises across my knees and my butt.
Sometimes I don't ski though, I have to make do with sliding down slopes on my bum at the speed of light, almost falling off the mountain and getting snow sprayed up my nose. Would be more fun if it wasn't so terrifying. I have only taken out one child so far, so that's a win for me, maybe not for little Marie or whoever she is (she should've probs been in school anyway).

Jokes aside, I am tackling red slopes now (Green, Blue, Red, Black etc) and on day 6 I'm pretty happy with that. I'm getting better on my speed, purely because I'm seeing all the kids off school this week whizzing past me at 90kph and I'm Grandma Becca snow plowing the whole way.




Nightlife (or lack of) 

Our local is effectively a pub with a pool table and pole. Owned by the complete legend who is Gregg*. Similarly to my local in Tenerife there is usually only about 8 people in there. We have had a couple of good nights there, me and my partner in crime, Louise. Our favourite venture out of the chalet is on a Wednesday night (so in a few hours time) we will be heading up to band night (y'know, the dry humping the ceiling rig). Throwing 16 year old guests in the air to crowdsurf or having the band play some Sum 41. Time to get on some Jelly Bean (aka Genopi).


Life in France

Running down to the local bakery to pick up the baguettes in the morning, pretty french right? Although I speak no more French than what I did 3 weeks ago I am trying to pick up some new phrases here and there. Most of it seems to have been pushed out of my brain as I learnt a bit of Spanish last year. I suppose that isn't always a bad thing though as most of the French I know I shouldn't really be using in conversation anyway.


We're not always skiing, or drinking! ($5 for a bottle of Fanta too, oh good lord someone pass the tap water) Last Wednesday for our day off we went up to the Rodeo Park and went on the toboggans. Fair to say, like everything else snow related, I was awful and resulting in everyone waiting down the bottom for me for about 10 minutes. I still have no idea how to steer the thing and I'm just gutted that I was worse in real life at Mario Kart than I am at it on Nintendo DS.



Work

The best part about being out here...of course.
Back in good old 2007 a video came out called Charlie The Unicorn (for anyone who hasn't seen it you can click here) and after reminiscing about the good old days of the internet (A WHOLE DECADE AGO?!) we decided that me and Louise are just like the annoying unicorns constantly pestering our boss man Archie. Just to give you an idea of how it is for us to all work together.
This week our Chalet Chef, Joel, was off sick so it meant that me and Louise ditched the marigolds (part-time) and put our aprons on and bossed the cooking. Louise did a better job than me on prepping the food after my flop of honeycomb, but together we finally made it. Great thing to have people actually taking picture of your grub and sending it to other people.

One of my jobs at the chalet is to drive the van. So after learning how to deal with snowchains and driving in the ice and slush I finally got there, and of course ruined all my hard work learning by driving on the wrong side of the road. Dangit!
The job itself involves loads of cleaning, something I am very good at (not). Although it's not as gritty as my farm work back in 2015, it's never great finding condom wrappers in guests rooms before 10am.

I have been getting on with the job though, you'll be pleased to know and getting some good guest feedback! Although I do get nagged quite a lot by Archie the Unicorn but mostly for eating all the cake mix becuase he doesn't want me going off sick because of the raw eggs.

*Gregg, from Gregg's bar has been teaching me French and it's really tough to get their RUGHH sound without sounding like you're flemming hardcore.

P.S Duncan told me to give him a shoutout or say he's great or something and he said he'll read it so here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment