Sunday 5 February 2017

05/02/2017

Week one- done! 


**

So my first week is finally completed after washing what feels like 1000 dishes, making 1000 beds and eating about 1000 cakes. It's been going really well, if you ignore the three times yesterday that I accidentally turned the showers on myself when trying to clean them. 

This week I haven't gone to ski yet, partially because I had no lift pass, partially because there's no snow, partially because I hate the cold. But with about 40cm of snow fallen from last night and my pass all sorted today and with Louise (newest addition to the Peisey team!) here I'll be hitting the slopes this week. It has given me time to do other things though, make the most of the in-house sauna, the hot tub in the garden, have an explore of the local area and meet up with Sophie and James who I did my farm work with back in 2015! From Australia to the Alps. It turns out that they are just other the end of the Vanoise Express (the big cable car from their town to mine) and only take 20 minutes to get here. Just goes to show that after travelling you've got friends everywhere! 

It was my birthday this week and with a beautiful 19 hour shift the day after it was my first sober birthday since finally "adulting" a few years back; but that doesn't mean I didn't use the rest of the week (and chalet wine) to celebrate. 

Our guests this week were all from the Army and completing some ski training, really great bunch of people. On Friday they all sang to me (something I have managed to avoid since finally "adulting" a few years back) and made me a birthday card. They also all chipped in and got me some sweets, a cake and a brand new pair of ski goggles. 10/10 guys! Couldn't believe it #Blessed.

Birthday celebrations started when we went to the next resort along, Les Plagne, on Tuesday night for our day off on Wednesday. We found ourselves in Scotty's drinking their beverages of choice (some green blue beery mess thing). I've noticed that it's becoming a thing over here to go into a bar and everyone is just topless. Like, you're surrounded by snow but 50% of the people there seem to be insufficiently dressed for the weather, lets hope they left their clothes at the door. Couldn't tell you much about Tuesday night (dem blue pints) but had a great time. 

Something I always got upset about in Tenerife was that nobody ever walked home from a night out, and everyone knows that can always be the best/worst part, but it's worth the risk, right? So on Tuesday we got the best of both worlds. Straight from coming out the bar we see some fella slip over and then immediately all his mates doing the same thing; hilarious... until he doesn't get up. An hour or so later  he's in the ambulance and that drama was all sorted (he's fine btw), onto the fun part! So to get back to our accommodation* we had to walk down the ski slope. When I say walk, I mean bum slide, penguin slide, slip and slide, whatever you choose and there's about 10 of us having a Mario Kart-eske race down this slope at four in the morning. Afraid to say I didn't win, but there's many months to up my penguin slide game. 

Our most recent night excursion included us going up to Mont Blanc Bar for their weekly bandnight, never have I seen more semi naked people being forced to hump the (very low) ceiling in the pub whilst crowdsurfing  before but with it being a weekly occurrence I'm sure it'll happen a time or two (or ten) again. 

If living up a mountain surrounded by snow, being in the quietest resort for my company and paying $5 a pint (god bless chalet wine) can't stop me from rescuing my liver, then I don't know what will.


*locally known as the ghetto which is a long corridor with some cupboards with bunk beds in and the kitchen in a microwave and a kettle on the floor in the long corridor. but once we got there we just decided to be human burritos with our duvets and sleep in the van.


Times ski'd: 0
Snowmen built: 1 
Glasses broken: 7
Canapés made: 308

Bottles of wine consumed: 2 1/2 

**Please note the snowperson's eyes are beer bottle caps. Keeping it authentic, ya know. 






No comments:

Post a Comment